The Sixth Form at Q3 Academy Great Barr seeks to develop the independent learning, self-reliance, and teamwork for young people to realise their aspirations. The majority of our students will continue onto higher education at university. However, increasing numbers of students are embarking on their career journeys through apprenticeship programmes.
We therefore seek to prepare them for that next step in their education through encouragement to take responsibility for their own learning and building confidence in managing their own lives.
Head of Sixth Form: Miss M Benning
Assistant Head of Sixth Form: Mr P Crawford
Sixth Form Administrator: Mrs L Devane
E: Please click here to email us
T: 0121 358 8570
A: Q3 Academy Sixth Form, Wilderness Lane, Birmingham, B43 7SD
Please click here to access our online application form for Sixth Form.
Please contact us here for details regarding in-Year admissions to Sixth Form.
The Q3 Academy Great Barr Sixth Form Parent/Carer Handbook can be found here.
The application process for September 2023 admission closed on 31st January 2023.
All external applicants for Q3 Academy Great Barr Sixth Form will be required to attend a telephone interview. The interview will be an opportunity for you to ask any questions regarding your application, as well as for us to ascertain your suitability for Sixth Form. We will also offer advice on the suitability of the combination of your chosen subjects. Successful applicants will be offered a conditional place in writing.
We are willing to consider applications received after 31st January. However, we expect some subjects will be oversubscribed and it will be necessary to place later applicants on a late applicant waiting list. Any applicants who apply after the closing date will be considered after those students that applied within the 31st January deadline who have been made a conditional offer and also those on the waiting list.
Additional Admissions Information:
- Students will be considered for entry into Year 12 based upon their academic attainment and/or individual subject grade criteria and the availability and suitability of courses at Q3 Academy Great Barr. Individual decisions will be reviewed on merit and will not set a precedent for other students;
- The entry requirement for Sixth Form is a grade 5 GCSE or above in Maths and English Language, plus the specific entry requirements for the subjects selected;
- Individual subjects have specific entry requirements that will need to be met;
- Subjects may be withdrawn if there are insufficient student numbers;
- For oversubscribed subjects, a student’s Attainment 8 score from their GCSE results will be used to allocate places;
- Geography A Level involves mandatory fieldwork which incurs a cost of approximately £200;
- The final date of entry for Year 12 will be 30th September 2023.
If you have any further questions or queries, contact the Sixth Form team here. We look forward to receiving your application.
UCAS Guide for Parents/Carers
UCAS Advice for Parents/Carers can be found here.
The Application Form for the Sixth Form bursary can be found here.
The Claim Form for those in receipt of the Sixth Form bursary can be found here.
In order for your application to be processed, all relevant evidence must be emailed here. Please note your application cannot be processed without evidence. All applications and evidence must be submitted by Friday 22nd September 2023. The Mercian Trust Bursary Policy (draft) can be found here.
Please find the Year 12 Transition Work Booklet here.